Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Learning Patience...

Guthrie Elders at the Dickman's home

Guthrie Elders at the Oklahoma City Temple

Duncan and Elder Larson

                                                     Onward Christian Soldiers
                                                 
                                  We went to the temple last Tuesday in OKC. It was awesome.
 I love this gospel and the hope that it brings to us in times of trouble. Joseph Smith gloried in tribulation. He had had it so much in his life and he accepted it and knew that it would make him stronger. I pray that I can one day be as accepting as him towards the storms of life that we all face.  
 
It stormed here and snowed and froze so church was canceled on Sunday. Bishop's mom, the stake patriarch's wife, passed away last Friday. So her funeral is on Wednesday. It was pretty expected to happen. She has had 90% blockage in her heart for a while now. But it's still sad.
I’m feeling better. I've never been as sick in my life as I have been on my mission, probably just working so hard and the stress.
 
 We've been working our tails off and trying to be as obedient as possible, but we have not been as successful as we planned and prayed for. It is a little disappointing. I’m trying to fix it or figure out what area I need to improve in. I know there are many. Ha, Ha! 
I recently read the talk, Safety for the Soul by Elder Holland. Probably the best talk I've ever heard. I have been studying patience. I have learned from the scriptures that it is important to bear trials with patience and faith! –Mosiah 24:13-16 :)
13 And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
 14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
 15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
 16 And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage.”
Love you much!
Elder Olson
 
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment