Sunday, December 29, 2013

Post Christmas


Christmas Ice in Guthrie, OK

Frozen truck antenna
 

We had a great Christmas conference last Saturday at the mission home. Half of the mission was there. We had a major ice storm. On our trip back to Guthrie we had to cross a four lane bridge and to our surprise there were six cars in various accidents on the bridge. We were able to maneuver around them and arrive home safely. When it is icy and snowing here drivers tend to punch on the gas and make things worse. We are grounded from bikes and cars during those times. Church tends to be shortened, rescheduled, or cancelled often also. We have a man in the ward who tries to keep us informed, but sometimes we don’t get the message.

 Guthrie is a town of about 10,000 people and 40+ churches so about everyone is baptized. It is difficult to teach about baptism and the authority given by the priesthood to conduct the ordinance. The answer is, “I have already been baptized.” I have come up with a little analogy to share at that point.

“Say you were driving down the street and a Popsicle van playing annoying music pulls up behind you flashing their lights and waving you to pull over. After stopping your car the Popsicle man comes to your window writing in a little notepad. He announces that he is giving you a traffic ticket complete with a fine. Would you pay it? Of course not, he has no right or authority to issue traffic tickets.” I then pull out the bright yellow index card on which I have listed my line of priesthood authority. Mine begins with Jesus Christ ordaining the apostles, who ordained Joseph Smith, who ordained Brigham Young, eventually my father was ordained to the Priesthood and in September 2013 I was ordained by my father. My priesthood authority is directly tied to Jesus Christ; therefore I am given the privilege and right to baptize in the name of Jesus Christ.

I love my mission. I love the people of Guthrie. I am so glad I get to serve here for a while longer.

 

Love,

Elder Olson


No comments:

Post a Comment